Please do NOT pay any fees until your permit application is approved. Also, NEVER send us any payments via mail, courier, or express mail service as we do not have the ability to receive or process any payments in our office.
We will review your application promptly and once approved we'll send you an invoice which will contain a link to pay online.
For very simple permit applications, this process can be completed -- start to finish -- within five (5) business days.
The Office of Cable Television, Film, Music & Entertainment (OCTFME) accepts MasterCard, Visa, and American Express at this time.
Permit fees are payable only after your application is approved, but in advance of filming.
- There is a one time (per project) application fee
- There is a one time (per project) first day fee (based on cast and crew size)
- There are additional day fees added for each day after your first day (up to the per project cap for your cast/crew size).
- The following fee schedule (effective March 1, 2010) remains effective as of 2018:
|Fee||First Day||Each Additional Day||Per Project Cap|
|Application Processing Fee||$30||-||$30|
|Film Permit (less than 10 cast and crew)||$150||$50||$500|
|Film Permit (10–39 cast and crew)||$300||$100||$1,500|
|Film Permit (40–69 cast and crew)||$450||$150||$3,000|
|Film Permit (more than 70 cast and crew)||$600||$200||No Cap|
|Student Film Permit
The fees are for film permits only and do not include other permits, fees, licenses, or location fees that may be required by OCTFME or other District agencies. Please refer to our insurance requirements, and road closures/police section which may weigh into your total costs.
A 'project' may be defined several ways depending on the type of shoot you are involved with. If it's a series, a project encompasses one season. If its a recurring new special with different locations/subject matter, a project will only cover each episode. If its an annual special, a project covers 1 special only. Most ofter, we can define a 'project' by the production title, but if you are unsure, please call us before paying your invoice.
- Our $30 application fee is only waived for student productions.
- No reductions or waivers are authorized for our permit fees for any type of non-profit, educational, religious, or charitable organization.
- No other class of organization is authorized for any reduction or waiver of our application or permit fees.
Once your permit application is approved, you will receive an invoice with a link to pay online. The Office of Cable Television, Film, Music & Entertainment (OCTFME) accepts MasterCard and Visa only. The District Government currently does not accept American Express. No exceptions.
In order to pay by cash or check, the payment will have to be made in person at the DDOT/DCRA Cashier’s Office. This process is time consuming. The Cashier’s Office is located at: 1100 4th Street, SW, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20024. The Cashier’s Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:15 am to 4:30 pm and can be reached at (202) 727-4829.
Please review your permit request thoroughly, as all permit transactions are final.